Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Malay Struggle - Please Explain

The issue of Malay struggle often comes up during UNMO AGMs. I have read about it many times but I have failed to understand. I very well understand the NEP and the special rights of the Malays and the Bumiputras. I understand that it is still needed and as expressed by most politicians recently the change must be in the implementation of the policy.

I very well understand the struggle of the Palestinians and the struggles of Muslims in the former Soviet's eastern block. I understand the plight of the people of Dafur and the Muslim refugees. How ever I totally fail to understand the struggles of the Malays.Yes there are still Malays below the poverty level but the same applies to the other Bumiputras.

NEP has been implemented for almost 40 years and UMNO definitely struggled for the Malays to get them to the current level. After all these years why are the Malays still struggling. Why does this phrase often comes out at every UMNO meeting. Could somebody enlighten me. I believe there are hundreds more who do not understand what the Malays struggle means in the current context. Please note I am not questioning the rights of the Malays, Bumiputra and or the NEP.

2 Comments:

petestop said...

Struggle for more kickbacks for issuing out contracts, which is then sub-contracted to Ah Kow, who then sub-contracted it to Mutu, who then sub-contracted it to Mat Indon, who only gets paid 10% of the cost of the contract.

calamus said...

I am a Malay. Does UMNO care for my people? Look at Kelantan & Terengganu, both are 'Malay heartland' states. Kelantanese were and still are abandoned by UMNO because the the support the opposition. The people of Terengganu have yet to fully taste the RM one billion or so petrolium royalty money, since the money went straight into the pockets of...

To hell with NEP! What we Malays need is a govt that actually care for the people